Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Untitled

I had to go see him
myself
Even though I heard
second hand
"He's OK"

I had to lay eyes
upon this man
I'm not ready 
to part with

So I paid for
my parking - overpriced
(and you can be sure he would comment about it)
just to lay hands
on this man I call
father

He was OK

Maybe
the emergency visit
a bit of an overreaction
a cautionary action
for one who realizes
he's been given more than 
his allotted threescore and ten

You can't go yet

I hold his hand 
during the 30 minutes
for which I paid a 
small ransom

Fingers still thick
and strong
although strangers 
to hard labour

I examine line upon line
etched and chiseled
in brow and bridge
as his lips continue 
to shape and form
even more tales for me to enjoy

I think of old age
yours and mine
some years on

And I look forward to the day
when you will hold
my hand
and we will read
in our lines 
and crinkles
the stories we
have witnessed
and written 
together.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vanity said...

This one made me cry.

11:34 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home